- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 6-8 Thai eggplants, stemmed and quartered
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced diagonally
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 lb shelled raw zipperback shrimp
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- splash of fish sauce
- sriracha sauce to taste
- Squirt of lemongrass puree
- Handful of Thai basil, some chopped, some leaves left whole (regular basil is fine if you can’t find thai)
- 1 can shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
In a large skillet, sautee eggplant pieces in oil until tender. Stir in peas and jalapeno pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add red curry paste and mix well. Things will sizzle and pop a lot.
Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute, then add coconut milk and stir well to incorporate. Add brown sugar, fish sauce, and sriracha if using. Add lemongrass puree. Bring all of this to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Before it finishes cooking, add the thai basil (saving some whole leaves for garnish) and mushrooms and heat through.
Serve hot over rice, and garnish with whole basil leaves.