- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 bottle passata (strained tomatoes), or about 3 cups.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add white wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil and oregano and stir to combine. Simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
After the hour, add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese if desired, stir well until the cheese “disappears”. Serve over pasta.
To modify for pizza sauce:
Omit white wine, parmesan cheese and sugar. Add 2-3 tbsp tomato paste, and simmer only for 20-30 minutes, allowing the tomatoes to reduce slightly, this will make a slightly thicker sauce.