- 2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
- 2 slices bacon, chopped into very small pieces (to chop easier, place the slices in the freezer for about 20 minutes before)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- dash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
In a bowl, combine all ingredients together, mixing well. I find the easiest way is with your hands – just make sure to wash them really well before and after, or wear clean latex gloves.
Shape balls out of about 2 tbsp of meat mixture and form into patties by pressing down flat on the balls. I use the bottom of a glass. Make sure the thickness is uniform across the entire patty.
You can either cook them right away, but I find it’s a bit easier if they are refrigerated for an hour or two. Grill on the barbeque for about 5 minutes one each side until the burger is cooked through, and serve.
Or, you can seal the patties individually in plastic wrap and freeze them for later use. If you want to cook from frozen, make sure the patties are not too thick.