(for two people)
- 3 bunches of dried soba noodles, each bunch should be about 1 inch in diameter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 can whole shiitake mushrooms, or 4-6 fresh, cut into quarters
- 1 lb peeled shrimp, tails removed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Fill a medium saucepan with salted water and bring to boil. Cook soba noodles according to package directions, they take about 6-7 minutes in general. Drain and set aside, keeping the noodles warm.
Heat 1/2 of the sesame oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add garlic, ginger, shallots and peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add a splash of soy sauce, and cook for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms and cook 1 minute more (a bit longer if using fresh mushrooms). Remove veggies from wok and set aside.
Heat remaining sesame oil in wok, and add shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, then add a splash of soy sauce and cook 1 minute more. Tip veggies back into the wok and stir everything until it is evenly mixed.
Arrange the noodles in a bowl and top with the veggie/shrimp mixture. Sprinkle cilantro over top.