From Reuben mac n’ cheese
(Adapted from Rachel Ray)
- 1 pound pasta (penne, fusilli, elbow macaroni – anything that will hold a sauce well in a baked pasta)
- 2 slices toasted and buttered deli rye bread
- A handful fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup spicy deli mustard
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup old white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 pound good quality deli corned beef, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package instructions until it is al dente. Coarsely chop bread and place in food processor. Add parsley and paprika to bread and process into bread crumbs and set aside. Heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter to pot and melt, whisk in flour for one minute then slow ly pour in the milk. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, and whisk the sauce until it thickens, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in mustard. Melt 2/3 of the combined cheeses into the sauce.
Preheat the broiler. Drain pasta and return to hot pot. Toss hot pasta with chopped meat and sauerkraut to combine, then stir in cheese sauce and coat. Transfer mac n cheese to a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese. Brown under broiler 3 to 4 minutes, and serve.